However, one thing that almost all of the bloggers out there never seem acknowledge its that not everyone out there looks like a model. Yes, everyone's body type is different but there are far fewer Zac Efron lookin' dudes than there are Zach Galifianakis guys.
Whatever you may think about stereotypes, it never hurts to look taller and slimmer. So for those of us who don't have chiseled abs, here is what I consider to be the definitive list of tips found from various reputable sources. The goal: make you look slimmer.
- No horizontal/diagonal stripes. If you go with stripes, make them vertical. They elongate the body and draw the eye vertically visually slimming down the curves. For formal clothing, a pin stripe pattern will be best on suits as well as shirts.
- Proper fit. Clothing should be fitted. Never slim/skinny/tapered/tight. The key is to find clothing that flatter your body while being comfortable. Clothes that are too tight will be unflattering. Large baggy clothing will only make you look shorter and squat. Solution: find a good tailor.
- Single color. Long flowing lines created by a shirt/pants in the same color will have a similar slimming effect to that of vertical stripes. Flaws will be visually minimized.
- No crazy/excessive patterns. While plaid is always a good idea, intense patterns like paisley and Hawaiian print make you look even bulkier.
- No bright accessories. If the goal is to create a slim silhouette, bright accessories in contrasting colors such as tie clips, pocket squares, necklaces, and watch bands will make the eye jump around. Belts that pop create a bright attention seeking rift in the mid-riff effectively dividing the body. Stick to complementary colorways and simple forms.
As The Art of Manliness states, "no fabric or pattern will make the large man look thin," but we can sure try our best. Just remember: rules are meant to be broken. Always be sure to have confidence and let your personality shine through your clothing.
Some great examples of people who do a great job of breaking some of the rules while looking great: