Monday, March 22, 2010

Things My Grandfather Gave Me: Snakeskin Wallet

My grandpa is my hero. Growing up, I always looked up to him as a source for guidance and friendship. He has always given me things, but lately I have begun to understand and truly appreciate all that he has done for me.

In our hometown of Kiev, Ukraine, he was an extremely decorated civil engineer and architect. In his retirement L.D.R. has flourished as an artist and an all around great man.

My gramps always shares amazing stories from his travels around the former Soviet Union and gives me the most interesting things. This is the initial installment of a series of posts about the items that he is passing along to me.

First up is a snakeskin wallet that is from the 50s/60s. It has definitely seen some wear but held up really well over the years. He remembers buying it somewhere in the street bazaars of Uzbekistan or Kazakhstan while he was on a trip to help with their city planning.

The construction/stitching is all done by hand and in genuine snake leather because as he puts it, "we didn't have the technology or materials to manufacture fake leather." Everything is about is amazing. The stitching and variety of pockets (zippered pocket) can compete with some of the overpriced offerings from esteemed heritage brands out there. The wear pattern is pretty neat and ads to the unique quality of this piece. Besides, when is something old that has been cherished and used by a loved one not better than an off the shelf widget? Hopefully I can do it justice.




No comments:

Post a Comment